Monday, August 29, 2011

Pig: Man's Best Friend

A friend of mine was due in town. It couldn't have come at a better time, really; New York was expecting a hurricane (Irene) to slam through it. Even though he lives in the safety of upstate, the deluge of rain would be a nice thing to avoid. We get him a flight out from Albany airport @6AM; he was slated to land at 2pm Pacific.

I figured I would show an impressive display of my new-found appreciation of cooking. I was going in balls to the wall, and making pulled pork. I had found an amazing recipe that looked relatively pain-free, so...I followed it and voila:

This uncooked, pre-brined, dried, then rubbed piece of pig was probably the most heavenly smelling, and best looking pig I have seen in a while. 5 1/2 lbs of boston butt, brined 24 hours and then cooked @ 225 for 10 hours, when the internal temperature reached 200.

The smell. My gods, the smell...is overwhelmingly divine.

As I wait for it to cool slightly and pull it, I can't help but wonder what my friend would have thought.


That's right, that friend of mine? Missed his flight out of Albany. Apparently you don't show up *at* the airport under an hour before the flight is to get going, WITHOUT a boarding pass, unless you want to get bumped from your flight because you haven't checked in by 15 minutes before the flight was to take off.

This pork's for you, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment