Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hatch Happy


I was in the store this week, and came across a thing of beauty: large batches of fresh green Hatch chiles in from New Mexico!


Elated, I scavenged up as much as I could, and went to work preserving some of them. I roasted them, and put them in jars with salt and hot water, then pressure canned them. The few that I didn't, I decided needed to be put to immediate use:

Ingredients
5 tomatillos
3 green Hatch chiles, roasted, skin & seeds removed.
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
cilantro
1 habanero pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
  1. Roast the tomatillos in a baking dish, and put into the oven. I set mine at 450 for for about 20m total, turning them every once in a while to ensure they cook evenly. I also put the habenero into the oven for a few minutes, but removed it well before the tomatillos were.
  2. Once done, put aside. Cut up onion & garlic, and throw into the hot baking dish. Cover all of your goodies with some foil.
  3. Let cool briefly, then combine tomatillos, onions, garlic, habanero, Hatch chiles, salt, cilantro into a blender and let fly.

I've made some home made sour cream, so I am thinking that a good chilaquille recipe will be in order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment